Thursday 13 December 2018

MIGRAIN October assessment learner response

1) You start reasonably with Todorov but need to add so much more detail, theory and insight in the rest of the paper.

Lack of theory for Q1 + Q3 - revise narrative and genre. You also need to revise and practice applying reception theory - there are so many points that could be made for Vibe's oppositional reading but you don't make any of them.


2) Read the mark scheme for this assessment carefully. Identify at least one potential point that you missed out on for each question in the assessment.


One potential point that I have clearly missed for question 1 and throughout the exam is consistent use of high media terminology. I also need to work on doing detailed analysis on question 1 along with mentioning different theorists in my answer. 

For question 2, one way I could've massively improved my answer is by expanding my answer and showing that I understand the question rather than waffling. I need to use media terminology in my answers so I am able to gain full marks.


3) Read this exemplar response from a previous Year 12 (a strong B grade). Identify at least one potential point that you missed out on for each question in the assessment. 

One potential point I missed out for each question is that I didn't name the theorist. Naming the theorist and applying it to the question is crucial and that is something I missed out on each question.

4) Did you get any media terminology or theory wrong in the assessment? Make a note of it here for future revision, including theories/terminology that you could have used but didn't. 

Some of the theories that I didn't use during the exam but I should've uses is Propp's character types and Barthes enigma codes.

5) Identify your strongest question. Why did you do better on this question? My strongest question in this exam was question 1. 


This is because I mentions a theorist and clearly analysed the question whereas, the other questions I analysed weren't detailed enough and wasn't written sophisticated enough to achieve high marks.

6) Identify your weakest question. Why did you score lower on this particular task?

My weakest question in this exam was question 4. The reason I scored lower on this particular question is because I didn't stick to the timings and I ended up running out of time. To prevent this from happening I will need to practise doing exam papers in timed conditions.

7) Re-write your weakest answer in full. Use the mark scheme to identify anticipated content you can add to your response and make sure your typed re-draft is a top-level answer.


Genre is important for producers because otherwise the producers will not have a solid narrative or a target audience. Genre is extremely important so producers will also know what typical things to include e.g. for horror movies producers will use the typical dark lighting whereas, for comedy movies they'll use high-key lighting. 

Genre is also extremely important for the audience otherwise the audience will not know what they are watching and they will not know what to expect e.g. for action films the audience would expect a fight whereas, for a comedy film they'd expect something to make them laugh.

REDRAFT:

Genre is important for audiences because it gives the audiences the expectation of the narrative, character plot and the content that is expected. The genre also can give audience pleasures e.g. when watching the trailer of a film, there are enigma and action codes. If there was no genre then the audience would not know what to expect which could potentially lead the film to fail.

Genre is important for producers because otherwise the producers will not have a solid narrative or a target audience. Genre is extremely important so producers will also know what typical things to include e.g. for horror movies producers will se the typical dark lighting whereas, for comedy movies they'll use high-key lighting. Genre allows the producers to evolve genre but maintain their audience.

Abercrombie suggests that television set out to exploit genre conventions as it makes economic sense (Makes a lot of money). Abercrombie also says that genres permit the creation and maintenance of a loyal audience which becomes used to seeing programmes within a genre.
















No comments:

Post a Comment