Sunday 24 February 2019

Collective identity and representing ourselves: blog tasks

Media Magazine article

Read the Media Magazine article on collective identity: Self-image and the Media (MM41 - page 6). Our Media Magazine archive is here.

Complete the following tasks on your blog:

1) Read the article and summarise each section in one sentence, starting with the section 'Who are you?'

Who are you: We are all involved in constructing an image to communicate our identity.

I think, therefore I am: Our identity would have been based around aspects of our lives that were constructed outside of our selves: class, religion, gender and the predetermined roles

From citizen to consumer: Consumer goods were about creating and then satisfying desires; and advertising informed people about what they could, and indeed, should want.

The rise of the individual: During the second half of the 20th century, people began defining themselves as individuals, and so wanted to express their ‘difference’ and ‘uniqueness’; they were empowered by being encouraged to ‘be themselves’.

Branding and lifestyle: Branding is the association of a ‘personality’ with a product.

Who will we be?: Data mining – allows corporations to create products designed to meet the needs we reveal in our personal information.


2) List five brands you are happy to be associated with and explain how they reflect your sense of identity.

One brand I am happy to be associated with is Apple. Apple are always one step ahead of everyone with their latest and innovative tech. Personally, I always like to be up to date with the latest technology and Apple allows me to do so.

Another brand I am happy to be associated with is Nike. Nike are comfortable shoes with outstanding quality which allows the shoe to last a very long time. I always look for shoes that are comfortable and look at reviews. Nike has offered everything I look for in a shoe, from amazing quality to long lasting.

Playstation is a brand I am happy to be associated with. Playstaion allows me to play online with my friends from games such as FIFA to Fortnite. It has a wide range of games to choose from and  the quality of the games are phenomenal. 

Emirates is a luxury aviation brand. I am happy to associate myself with Emirates as they reflect the simple luxury I love. Emirates is all about making sure their customers are happy and the service/quality they're delivering is outstanding and consistent.

Armani is a high quality luxury brand. The clothing they deliver is always in trend and styling. The brand reflects my sense of identity as I like to dress stylish with high quality material.

3) Do you agree with the view that modern media is all about 'style over substance'? What does this expression mean?

Style over substance is when the appearance of something is more important than the actual thing itself. I strongly agree that the modern media is all about 'style over substance'. An example of this is that right now the headlines of the news is 'Oscars 2019 pictures: red carper glamour' whereas, there are other things that are more serious such as 'Plane 'hijacker' shot dead' which isn't getting as much coverage as the Oscars. This is purely because the Oscars have more appealing content to show whereas, the plane 'hijacker' doesn't.

4) Explain Baudrillard's theory of 'media saturation' in one paragraph. You may need to research it online to find out more.

According to Baudrillard, the territory of reality no longer precedes the map of representation. Images and signs have become more "real" to us than "reality" itself.


5) Is your presence on social media an accurate reflection of who you are? Have you ever added or removed a picture from a social media site purely because of what it says about the type of person you are?

My social media is somewhat a reflection of who I am. I have a interest in fashion and photography and my social media is mainly me wearing new unique/trendy outfits at unique locations. However, my social media only reflects the happy side to my life and doesn't reflect any negativity. I haven't removed any pictures from a social media site purely because of what it says about me.

6) What is your opinion on 'data mining'? Are you happy for companies to sell you products based on your social media presence and online search terms? Is this an invasion of privacy? 

Data mining should only be allowed with the persons consent. If a person does not give consent then products that are being advertised should not be related to what they're liking on social media. In my opinion, it wouldn't be a invasion of privacy is there is a consent form.


Media Magazine cartoon


Now read the cartoon in MM62 (p36) that summarises David Gauntlett’s theories of identity. Write five bullet points summarising what you have learned from the cartoon.


  • Gauntlett argues that the mass media text offers us a more diverse representation than ever before.
  • Mulvey's concept of male gaze.
  • Gender is a performance.
  • Masculinity is 'in crisis'.
  • Pick and mix identity.



No comments:

Post a Comment